First Timer Information
Make sure to follow the WIN for KC Triathlon Facebook page to stay up-to-date on tips, tricks, and new information.
Training for your first triathlon? Visit our Training Resources page for updates on first-timer training opportunities and check back for updates and training tips.
WIN for KC has developed a first-timer friendly 8 week training program just for you! Click here to get started!
You have picked the right triathlon to do for your first experience! Below are some facts and figures that will make you feel more comfortable and confident as you train for your first triathlon:
- Approximately half of the participants in the WIN for KC Women's Triathlon are first timers.
- The average finish time is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- There are a variety of training opportunities, workshops and clinics that are offered through this triathlon. Through these opportunities, you are able to learn from the best and most patient triathlon leaders in the Kansas City area.
- The swim start includes a time trial start. You do not enter the water with an entire group.
- You enter the water with others who are about the same swim pace as yourself.
- A fairly flat course that is first-timer friendly
- There are over 200 volunteers throughout the course that are there to support and assist you when necessary.
- Hundreds of spectators there to cheer you to the finish!
- The Inspiration Station offers support and inspiration to everyone by featuring fellow triathletes who have overcome or are conquering their goals.
- Epic Bike and Sport is on-site to assist with any and all bike questions, challenges and mishaps.
But the bottom line is YOU ARE AN ATHLETE! You can do this!
First Timer's Forum:
The Forum is an opportunity to learn more about the race and get your questions answered! We will break down each portion, from the swim, bike and run to the transitions and what to expect when you arrive. This is a great chance to calm some nerves and help you get a visual picture of what to expect. We will also have triathlon experts on site to answer your questions about race day and all of the training beforehand. The forum is FREE to attend and does not require prior registration.
To view this year's presentation, click here.
Click here for a list of USAT's most commonly violated rules and regulations.
Click here for your Race Day Checklist.
Other Helpful Resources:
View a sample training plan for beginner and intermediate triathletes. These training programs can be adjusted to your preferences and time requirements.